.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Thursday, April 19, 2007

SCOTUS roundup

After a long period of dragging my feet, I succumbed to the New Blogger. I think I'm the last person. Let's see how it goes.

On the SCOTUS' upholding of the federal abortion ban, my panic is outweighing my anger at the moment. So I'll quote folks.

Bitch Ph.D catalogues some of the consequences of banning intact D&X, if that is indeed what this "partial-birth abortion ban" is banning. She also delivers stories on late-term problems that make me shudder a little this month, so I'll leave 'em alone.

Ema (quoting ACOG and The Blog That Ate Manhattan) also quotes nicely.

Adri says:
Even more frightening [than endless talk of this week's shooter] is today's Supreme Court ruling about late-stage abortions. Even more chilling is the language of sanctimonious pro-lifers, politicians and Bible-thumpers. It sends a very real chill down my spine to read their words about protecting the life inside the woman and other such bullshit. What about protecting the *woman* and her rights? The idea of politicians controlling women's bodies is so much more frightening to me. What was Sandra thinking when she retired?

I think the reason it got upheld is because this issue isn't about well-written law. It's about politics and exerting control over women. And to think that the same crazy people who support this law probably also think it's a great idea for anyone and everyone to buy as many guns as they want. Today's ruling frightens me so much because in this case, it's clear that these men are in control of our country. I can only hope and pray that there will be physicians and other medical practitioners who will stand up to this.


And while I wish I could quote some medical practitioners of my own on this, that's pretty firmly against my personal blog rules. And they're all out actually practicing medicine, anyway.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home