.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Tihs Yloh

From our venerable NYTimes.com, the news of the most suddenly and startlingly popular girl-baby name since Aaliyah: Nevaeh. Which is "heaven" spelled backwards.

I work with adolescents, not toddlers, so I haven't encountered this travesty non-traditional name yet. And I can tolerate a little nonconformity in my baby names, though I continue to be frustrated by the fact that girls are generally the ones saddled by odd spellings, cute and fluffy names, and celebrity fads. I hoot at "Babies Named a Bad, Bad Thing". But when I go to work and find a bunch of teenagers wandering around with stupid names, it makes me sad. "LaQuentyn" is named after her father, but did he really spell it with a "Y"? If not, does it count? And when "Zackery" and "Kymberlee" apply for their first job, are their names going to cancel out some of their achievements? I miss the classics.

1 Comments:

  • I felt the same way you did when I read that story. Did you see the letter to the editor the next day or so, suggesting the boys' name should be Sedah, rather than Lleh as the headline suggested? That cracked me up, I have to say. I hadn't put together that it's usually girls who get really out-there names, but that's a good point.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home