.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

For (and about) the girls

All of you counting on me to bring you the latest SD news? I ain't got it. There is no March for Women's Lives this year, at least not that I know about. Those of you who are praying folk, please remember that keeping Stevens on this earth and motivated to adjudicate is our highest priority. Meanwhile, Wampum educates us on what the lack of a health exception means in real life. Go read; it's quick.

I've been spending time in high schools (did you know that class there begins at 8 am??) and have been pleasantly surprised to find that this year, all my students can read English. It must be because of that terrific reading material they've got nowadays. Naomi Wolf reviews, in this NYTimes article, an example of recent young adult fiction, and how it glamorizes the materialism and self-absorption* we generally claim to abhor about adult media culture. Be very afraid.

Neither here nor there: this article, "Silent Struggle", presents a new resource-competition theory of pregnancy as it relates specifically to pre-eclampsia. When I have more energy, perhaps I will get cool and find the real science article. Til then, it's secondary sources for you!
_____________
*I love that I, too, can rail about self-absorption while posting to my third blog tonight. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week.

2 Comments:

  • Elizabeth, I thought you like to see this pattern http://moshknit.blogspot.com/2006/03/vagina-pattern.html. Although she calls it a vagina, it's really a vulva. Thought it may make a nice addition to those knitted uteri (is that the proper plural term?) you've been working on.

    Linda

    By Blogger Linda, at 2:42 PM  

  • Thanks, Linda! I may indeed have to start on a few of those after I finish the uterii. (Yep, that's the term according to Webster's!) I notice you're not the only person to comment on the vagina/vulva disconnect.

    By Blogger Trope, at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home