.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Saturday, August 13, 2005

So true

From the NYTimes.com article about Mike Wagers, the cabbie who picked up the Hyattes and drove them to Columbus, Ohio after Mrs. Hyatte allegedly shot and killed a guard while helping him escape:

...the only time he wondered about the pair was when they told him they were headed to an Amway convention.

"Amway people are all about Amway, and when they didn't try any conversation further about it, that's when I pretty much thought, 'Well, they're not with Amway; they're doing something else,' " said Mr. Wagers, 33.


The next day he realized who the pair were and called authorities, who surrounded the motel Wagers drove them to and brought them in peacefully. I laughed out loud when I read that paragraph; I've had friends involved with Amway, and it's so, so true.

First thought: I'm glad that these two were apprehended and can be tried in a court of law. It's horrifying to think that anyone would shoot and kill a bystander, or some poor shmoe doing his job, just to break a guilty man out of prison and then take him on the run with you. I love my spouse dearly, and think that El is certainly kinder, smarter, and more interesting than George Hyatte, but I just couldn't kill anyone so that my spouse could avoid paying his due. Second: smart citizens are way better than security cameras. Third: most criminals are just not that smart. Three days in the same motel? You didn't think you'd be spotted? Come on. Also, you should work on your cover story. I don't think anyone outside of Amway could successfully fake that bizarre enthusiasm.

I love it when news stories have satisfying endings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home