.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Mis-conceptions

We saw an advance screening of Vera Drake tonight. It's a sign of my over-involvement in the abortion debate that I had a hard time "reading" the film ("Whose side are they on?" I kept asking myself.) THEN I made the mistake of going into the message boards at IMDB and reading the several-thousand-word debate that has been festering for the last week and a half, despite the fact that almost no one on there had seen the film. Elwood tagged it an "artsy realist film," and I think he sums it up very well. Big on scene and character development. Small on plot. It's fairly easy to predict what happens, but it's fascinating to watch stoic post-war Brits wrestle with the topic. For the most part, they politely declined wrestling and opted for a cup of tea and change of subject. Subtitles would be illuminating--I think I missed some lines due to thick accent. And no, they're not really on anybody's side, as far as I can tell. Rabid pro-lifers would probably disagree, as Mrs. Drake doesn't end up burning in the fiery pits of hell. But she doesn't go home singing, either. The real villain of the movie never does reappear to take justice, and I found that disappointing... But I'm spoiling your cinematic fun if I disclose all that.

Can I just say that right about now I'm REALLY tired of the abortion debate? Also the sex ed debate. And the war debate. And politics in general. Hell, even the government is getting on my nerves, and I'm normally a backer. This election season may just turn me into an anarchist.

Fortunately, nothing can quench Heather's zeal. She runs Scarleteen, one of my all-time favorite sexual health websites, and also a naughty little blog that I gobble like candy. For the first time, Scarleteen is endorsing a candidate, or un-endorsing Bush, if you prefer. It may seem a little odd to pitch this on a teen health website, but if I and my colleagues are any indication, most of her readers are actually over eighteen. I get some of my best talking points from her. While you're over there, contribute a few bucks. I dare you.

Fafnir reassures us on our election woes.
Did you know that if a Red Stater and a Blue Stater come into contact they will explode an leave behind only a trace of purple goo? It's true! But there is hope. That purple goo can grow up to be a swing vote.

FlyLady has also taken this stance. One of her "flybabies" writes:
Dear FlyLady and FlyBabies,
Marla and her wonderful crew have been reminding us to vote. Looking at one of those magazine maps of the U.S., with red states and blue states and big question-mark states, gave me an idea.

Some FlyBabies are red. Some FlyBabies are blue. But all together, we FlyBabies make up the Purple Party (Marla's favorite color!).

Members of the Purple Party don't all choose the same candidates. They don't all agree on the issues. But members of the Purple Party do care enough to learn about the candidates and issues, and then take the time to vote. This year, it may take more than 15 minutes to vote because so many people are expected to show up at the polls. But you'll have the time to do it from following FlyLady's routines!

PLEASE VOTE! Our future depends on it.

Signed,
An American FlyBaby


(I'm shocked that they haven't jumped onto this "Purple Party" and formed a voting bloc already. Marla and the rest of her crew have scrupulously avoided endorsing any candidates this season, although I'm sure that's taken hours of weeding through member posts. Most of the FlyLady info smacks of conservatism, though tolerance and polite subject-changing are strictly enforced. Marla Cilley has a local political career that she keeps far, far away from her web activities. I wonder how long she will be able to maintain that?)

I'm tickled by all the newfound political activism. But I'm also heart-tired by it.

On a happy note: St. Louis' victory (well-deserved) means there won't be any Houston-Boston proxy war going on in the week before the election. Whew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home