.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

WBC Champs and the Arroyo Trade

Did anyone catch last nights game between Cuba and Japan? Personally, I thought it was a great game. I stayed up to watch it, and to me it was every bit as exciting as an MLB playoff game. Due to the length of the major league baseball season I'm not sure there is ever a good time for the WBC, but it sure beats the Olympic Games version. In any case, I am glad that he US did the right thing and allow team Cuba to play - making it a true World Baseball Classic.

So Bronson Arroyo's agent was right, taking a 'home team' discount made him the most desired extra pitcher on Boston's roster. Is this a bad move? From the standpoint that Boston fans could view Arroyo as they view Wakefield - a lifer, willing to pitch in the rotation or pen and never have injuries - then yes, it is a bad move. From the standpoint that counting Jon Lester Boston had 8 starters, none with a history of arm or shoulder injuries while lacking both a fourth outfielder and power in the minor league system - then yes, it was a good move. In the end Boston has too many pitchers and Cincinnati has too many outfielders. Thus, a natural move. Plus, I think Arroyo will do well in the NL Central.

Boston didn't really want to trade David Wells for three reasons. Firstly, his lifetime record in Fenway Park is outstanding. Secondly, he is the only left handed starter. Thirdly, he is a big game pitcher. Boston couldn't really move Matt Clement to the Reds as he costs way too much. Earlier I wondered if Boston was going to try and move Clement and Nixon to Philadelphia for a prospect and Bobby Abreu. But this deal seems better as the Sox potentially have Nixon's replacement in the fold and if Lowell or Youkilis does not work out Aubrey Huff is a free agent at the end of the season. The only downside I see is if two major injuries occur to the Red Sox rotation. I still think the biggest question mark is the health of Keith Foulke - and if he isn't ready to go will Francona go with Hansen or Papelbon to close? What this trade also tells me is that Boston is not happy with their potential line-up offensively and want more options.

3 Comments:

  • I had high hopes for Aubrey Huff, but his last two seasons have been a disappointment. He has time to turn it around. He has the potential of being a quality player.

    Tweed

    By Blogger Stockton & Tweed, at 7:46 PM  

  • Huff did have an off year last season, but I still like his potential as he can play four positions and is strong against lefties.

    I never got your e tweed.

    By Blogger Wells, at 9:46 PM  

  • Wells:

    Send us an email (stocktontweed@yahoo.com) and I'll respond.

    I like the sports page idea.

    By Blogger Stockton & Tweed, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home