.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Senator Kerry Concedes

In 2000, I was angry - we felt robbed. Today, I am sad. John F. Kerry is a good man. While I wish Ohio was closer so we could stay and fight, but I understand that conceding was needed. I am disappointed because Mr. Kerry was a very good candidate – truly our best choice, someone that represented liberalism and our core Democratic values well. I think Senator Kerry represented us in the debates well and I thought he would have made a great president. We lost the fight, but the battle continues. There is something brewing beneath the surface. Something was conceived these last few years. Perhaps this is our 1964 (only we barely lost, they were humiliated). Anyway, we have a long time to talk about this. It is nice to know that Senator Kerry will be around for at least several more cycles.

Senator Kerry made overtones about uniting the country as I am sure President Bush will, but the reality is that Iraq has deeply divided this country and it will only get worse once he nominates a successor for Chief Justice Rehnquist. The Senate will be 55-45 with really no weak Democratic members. Senators Chafee, Snowe, Collins, and Spectre (to a lesser extent perhaps) will probably lean our direction in that fight. Other Senators such as Hagel, Luger, and McCain will not be rubber stamps. In any event, things are not as dire was some feel today. President Bush and the GOP will not be able to run from their record on the economy, Iraq, foreign affairs, health care, education – our infrastructure - forever. I hope to see John Edwards as the head of the DNC and a Senator Howard Dean in the near future.

In any case, thank you Senator Kerry. You fought the good fight, and I feel privileged to have been able to volunteer with some great people on your campaign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home