.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

While Swimming

While swimming yesterday I had a few thoughts floated through my chlorinated brain. First, Fresh Direct turned out to be both good and bad. The Good: The Irish Cheddar is fantastic, and the Cantal was very good. The wheat boule was tasty. The Bad: The amount of baby spinach and basil per bag is rather wimpy. The cantaloupe, despite looking good, is about a third of the size. Otherwise, it was a good experience that I shall use again. But, those pilgrimages to the upper west side grocery stores are still needed.

I also had a political thought. Mr. Nader claims to want progress - though he seems only motivated by challenging Mr. Kerry. Mr. Nader has had terrible times getting enough signatures - especially verified ones (angry Dems refer to him as St. Ralph now, b/c he can do no wrong in the eyes of some). The only thing he seems to be doing is making himself irrelevant. If he really wanted to make a statement he would have been laying the groundwork for a primary or third party challenge against Senator and former Vice Presidential candidate Joseph I. Lieberman in 2006. Seeing how his objective is not to win but to have access to free media - I doubt he would consider it. After all, what if he won?

Addition I almost forgot. Tom Waite's new album "Real Gone" is out today. This interview is from the Houston Chronicle. You can listen to "Metropolitian Glide" at the All Songs Considered site.
But the songs that give Real Gone its emotional wallop are the ones that unambiguously address the current political moment. Day After Tomorrow, an acoustic ballad in the form of a soldier's letter home, is the most direct of all, but Hoist That Rag, a swaggering saga of a band of mercenaries, and the ominous epic Sins of the Father, with its line about "the star spangled glitter of his one good eye" and its allusion to a game that was rigged, resonate with a topical urgency.

"You know, I'm not Billy Bragg, but I'm not Liberace, either," Waits says. "Making songs about what's going on, first you have to inherently believe that they have genuine power to be part of a change. I'm not sure that I completely agree with that. At this point it's like throwing rocks at a tank. . . .

"They're songs, you know. Sure, they are reflecting in some way what's going on. I'm watching and listening and finding things on the road and picking them up and sticking them in there. But I don't know that I completely believe that it in fact can make a difference. Sounds a bit cynical, but. . . ."

But still, for someone who has two children near draft age, there was that need to weigh in.

"I guess. To a certain degree. Gingerly. There's a point where you realize to say nothing is a political statement. ... So I tried to put something in there. ... I don't know, I'm cynical and I'm also hopeful."

I'll probably get it after lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home