.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Red Sox Party in the House that Ruth Built


No team in baseball history has come back from being three down in a championship series to winning the pennant. You can choose to look at it as the biggest choke in sports history or the best comeback in sports history. I prefer the latter.


Damon: 3-6, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 SB.


Lowe: 6 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 So, Win.

The last time the Red Sox were in the World Series, it was 1986. The night Bill Buckner lost the series when the ball squirted between his legs. My family was in the midst of a move. I shared a bed with my brother in the apartment for two weeks. We watched the Mets celebrate. That sucked (though at the time I only had been to 1 game ever - Detroit @ Oakland). After all, I was "the best second baseman/right fielder when glove on" for my little league team.

Update:

Sen. Kerry and staff enjoy watching the BoSox win.

Update II: From Dana's blog Flaneuse
newest fan

and no, I am not a bandwagon fan. First, I have been unusually impressed with the refusal on the part of the Red Sox to give up. Schilling's pitching in Game 6 was a beautiful thing. And then Sam, always looking to pick a fight when we are both down and out (just kidding -- we're cranky is all) found information for me online that not only did the owner of the Sox make sizable contributions to the Kerry and Democratic campaigns, but both A Rod and Steinbrenner have donated to the Bush party of evil. So all I have to say is:

GO SOX!!!! I'm watching and knitting now -- if you make it to the Series, I will be watching all the way: Boston Red Sox : The Official Site. Sorry Dad. I guess the Yankees fan thing now has stopped with your generation of the family (Clay being a Cubs fan and all).


Update III: ESPN's Jim Capel writes about the Yankees
In hindsight, perhaps it was a mistake for the Yankees to raise a "Mission Accomplished" banner above their dugout after Game 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home