.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

A Call for Books / Baseball and the Mighty Red Sox

Okay. I need some suggestions for fiction. I finished two fun books last month. The Time Travelor's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger was excellent (I shall read again), and Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time which I enjoyed. So I am reading Richard Russo's Straight Man again, and I need suggestions - and please, not academic stuff - that is basically all I read outside of blogs, the Atlantic and Foreign Affairs. Don't get me wrong, I love fiction and use to read a lot more "new fiction," though I do like my Joyce, et al. Anyway, suggestions wanted. Trope usually comes through for me.

Also, how about those Red Sox! Not only are they on a roll and are probably the second best team in the MLB next to the St. Louis Cardinals, they are doing it without Trot Nixon, Scott Williamson, and while Derek Lowe is having a below average season. They haven't missed a step with Nomar going to the Cubs. Now that Mueller is healthy, he and Cabrara form one of the best left sides of the infield. Bellhorn has been solid defensively and offensively. In later innings they replace Millar for Doug Mientkiewicz and can use Pokey Reese at second base if needed. Anyway, if they find a solid third pitcher and Williamson gets healthy - the Red Sox will be in the World Series. The the health of Mueller and the addition of Cabrara, not only do they score a ton of runs, but play good defense. The difference between the World Series and just the wild card may be how quickly Trot Nixon gets into the swing of things

As for the Cubs, they have a daunting task coming up. After Thursday I don't think they get a day off while playing something like 23 games in 21 days while being in a pennate race. Damn hurricane Frances! Thats huge considering Wood and Prior have been banged up all year. The main concern about the Cubs however isn't really with Wood of Prior, I think it is their reliance on home runs to score. With the schedule the Cubs have, if they make the playoffs, they deserve it - and may even knock off the Cardinals while they are at it.

Back to all seriousness, did you catch the great Bush quote today?
September 07, 2004

Quote of the Day

"We've got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

-- President Bush, quoted by the AP, apparently mixing up his words in a campaign speech on the rising costs of health care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home