.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tally Ho

Friday, June 25, 2004

O'Frankin Factor/Whatcha Reading/Ron Reagan Jr.

It has been a terribly busy week. Blogging just hasn't been on the top of my list. Work, whiskey, weddings, worrying about sis’s health, hanging out, and sleep have taken a much expected front seat. I have been listening to Al Frankin's O'Frankin Factor on Air America Radio this afternoon. This is probably the best individual show of his that I have listened to (but that’s maybe once a week). They had Ronald Reagan Jr. discussing his father and the Bush Administration; Michael Moore on his new film that I am seeing in 5 hours, Fahrenheit 9/11; and right now former President Bill Clinton.

Ron Reagan's interview with Frankin pretty much mirrors his interview on CNN. Some highlights:

WOODRUFF: You have said, Ron Reagan, that you are not a Republican. Were you ever a Republican?

REAGAN: No, I've never joined any political party and have no plans to do so. I'm fully independent.

WOODRUFF: Why not? Why not be a Republican?

REAGAN: Well, I couldn't join a party that, frankly, tolerates members who are bigots for one thing. Homophobes, racists. You know, there's no way I could be a part of a party like that. Just no way.

WOODRUFF: You've also said, I think, that you did not vote for George W. Bush in 2000. You haven't made secret of that. What are you going to do this year?

REAGAN: I'll vote for the viable candidate who is capable of unseating George W. Bush.

WOODRUFF: And presumably, that's John Kerry.

REAGAN: That's how it looks right now, yes.

On Stem cell research and William Clark's Op-ed in the NYT:

I would remind people, too, William Clark among them, that if they're going to be intellectually and morally consistent with this issue, then they need to come out against in vitro fertilization. And you'll notice that the administration hasn't done that. Thousands of embryos are discarded every year in vitro fertilization clinics. Why aren't they complaining about that? Because it's a political nonstarter so that's, you know, moral inexactitude, to say the least.

I am reading parts of two nonfiction books at the moment. They are: Photography on the Color Line: W.E.B. DuBois, Race, and Visual Culture by Shawn Michelle Smith


and Radio and the Struggle for Civil Rights in the South by Brian Ward

Would some nice person out there recommend a nice piece of fiction for bed time or Sundays in Central Park? I feel out of the loop recently for new fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home